Choco Butternut Munchkins gives us so much great memories of our childhood. As much as days past were fueled by fast food apple pies and supermarket-bought juice packets, it’s boxes of Munchkins that elevated the sugar high.
I know you’re craving for these delicious treats right after you saw the photo lol.
So, in this latest food hack, I’m going to share to you guys an easy recipe of Choco Butternut Munchkins.
YIELD: 24 donut holes/munchkins
TIME: 45 minutes
INGREDIENTS: CHOCOLATE DOUGHNUTS
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 6 tbsp heavy cream
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
INGREDIENTS: CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2–3 tbsp. milk
- 1 drop blue food coloring
INGREDIENTS: BUTTERNUT TOPPING
- 2 cups desiccated coconut (preferably finer)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 2 drops bright orange food coloring
PROCEDURE: CHOCOLATE DOUGHNUTS
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the vanilla, egg, heavy cream, milk, and oil.
- Add the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into a cake pop mold. Fill each half-sphere to the top.
- Once filled, cover and close the mold.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool
PROCEDURE: CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Glaze should have a thick consistency. (The food coloring is optional, but helps achieve the dark, almost black color of the donuts)
PROCEDURE: BUTTERNUT TOPPING
- Add all the ingredients into a medium bowl.
- Work the mixture until well combined and al of the coconut is colored.
- Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet or flat surface and dry for 20 minutes before using.
- Take the cooled doughnuts and dip into the glaze.
- Fully coat the doughnuts and remove them using a fork, allowing the excess glaze to drip off.
- Place the glazed doughnuts into the coconut topping and roll until fully coated.